Angeles City was formerly a barrio of San Fernando. Known then as "Kuliat", the settlers led by Don Angel Pantaleon de Miranda filed a petition on February 11, 1892 for the segregation of Kuliat from San Fernando. But it was not until December 8, 1829 that "Kuliat" was officially recognized as an independent town in spite of the fact that it only has a population of 661 people.
The town was renamed Angeles in honor of its patron and founder and titulars saints "Los Santos Angeles Custodios" (The Holy Guardian Angels). By virtue of Republic Act No. 3700, Angeles was finally inaugurated as chartered city on January 1, 1964.
Today, Angeles City known as the "entertainment city" of Central Luzon and the former home of the biggest American Base lies in a threshold of change after being severely affected by the Base pull out brought about the great eruption of Mt. Pinatubo 1991. It is now rising from the ashes by putting itself back to the economic status that it once occupied and dream surpassing feats never before any city or province has ever accomplished.
Angeles City lies on the western part and 16 kilometer away from the provincial capital of Pampanga. Bounded on the north and northeast by the towns of Mabalacat and Magalang respectively. Way down south is San Fernando and on the west are Porac and Floridablanca. It has a total land area of 6,432.82 hectares divided among its 32 barangays.
Angeles just like any other town in Central Luzon has two pronounced season. Dry from November to April and wet the rest of the year. In summer, the climate is very hot due to the humid temperature of Mt. Pinatubo while during the rainy season, residents and guests are advised to take precautionary measures due to lahar flows and flood which occasionally visit some lower portion of the city.
Lanquage / Dialect
Residents of Angeles predominantly speak Kapampangan language. Migrants from other places like the Visayans usually converse in the Tagalog language. English is likewise widely spoken.
Angeles City is approximately 80 kilometers north of Manila and can be reached within one hour. In terms of land transportation, almost all the buses plying the northern Luzon passing the McArthur Highway pass through Angeles City such as Victory Liner and Dangwa though these buses stop over at Dau, Mabalacat, Pampanga which is the first barrio after Balibago, Angeles City where the former Clark Air Base is located.
With the presence of Clark Air Base, long range plan include the conversion of the former U.S. Air Force Base covering 1,620 hectares into a world class international airport. A more detailed feature will be discussed in a special report for Clark Air Base.
BALE MATUA - Located at the heart of Sto. Rosario - the center of Angeles City, this residence of the founder of the city Pantaleon de Miranda and dona Rosalia de Jesus was constructed in 1824. It is made of high stone wall and an ornate gate. This house nostalgically symbolizes the glorious past of Angeles City amidst the overwhelming onslaught of modernization.
POST OFFICE BUILDING - Located at Sto. Rosario, this concrete building was utilized by the U.S. Army as a jail for recalcitrant U.S. troops in 1899-1901. It was also used as the headquarters of the 11th Film Exchange U.S. Army in 1946-1947. This building was constructed in 1899 for the purpose of depositing religious statues and carriage of the church hence the name "Deposito". From 1967 - 1986, the city Post Office was located in this building. It now houses the Angeles Rehabilitation Center for polio victims and stroke patients.
PAMINTUAN RESIDENCE - This building served as the Central Headquarters for Major General Douglas McArthur in May 1899. It served as the seat of the First Philippine Revolutionary government under General Emilio Aguinaldo, president and commander in-chief. It now houses the Central Bank of the Philippines in Angeles City which is across the Sto. Rosario church along Sto. Entierro Street.
Relegious / cultural
HOLY ROSARY CATHEDRAL - This edifice was used as a military hospital by the U.S., Army in August 1899 to December 1900. It was constructed through the "Polos y Servicios" labor system - a kind of forced labor imposed on Filipino peasant by Spanish forces.
HOLY FAMILY BUILDING - U.S. Army used this building from 1899 to 1902 as a military hospital and later as troop barracks officers' quarters and arsenal by the Japanese Imperial Military forces in the early part of 1942.
CASINO FILIPINO - Located at the Century Resort Hotel Complex in Balibago, Angeles City. This casino is operated by the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation.
ANGELES TWIN FIESTA - The traditional display of hospitality is best exemplified during the twin fiesta celebration - the La Naval which is held every 2nd Sunday of October and the "Fiestang Apu" held on the last Friday of the same month.
Today, this town fiesta is billed as Fiestang Kuliat, wherein concern citizens of Angeles bind their acts together in order to rehabilitate and promote Angeles City as clean destination despite the devastation caused by the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo. Several activities are line-up for the month long fiesta celebration among which are, trade exhibit and food festival. The celebration is culminated by a mardi-grad like affair, where fun, songs, dances and revelry is brought out on the streets of Balibago.
For more infomation about our jouney to Angeles city, see our traveloque and our photos.